Killargue was an independent parish until 1969 when it was united with
Drumlease. The ruins of a medieval church, which was built with
limestone mortared masonry, are to be found in a rectangular graveyard
at the back of the present St Brigid's Church at Killargue. The east and
west walls are mostly missing. There is an external plinth on the north
wall and three round, arched, splayed window openings in the south wall.
A prominent holy well called
Mhuire is situated nearby.
Pilgrimages are held there on 15th August each year.
The ruins of another medieval church are to be
found at Cloonlogher in a rectangular graveyard off the Killargue to
Manorhamilton road. It was built with coursed masonry walls with dressed
quoins which have survived virtually complete.
In 1791, while Fr John McGourty was parish
priest, a thatched barn church was built in Killargue. Then in 1852 it
was extended and a nave was added changing the rectangular building to a
T-shaped one. Fr Stephen McTernan, who was born in the townland of
Sheskin, was quite involved in the Tenant Rights Campaign, the Home Rule
movement and the Cooperative Movement in the last decades of the
nineteenth century. He died as parish priest of Killasnett in 1906. In
1961 the transepts of St Brigid's Church were removed and a front porch
added. Side porches were added in 1991. This church has been used
continuously since 1791 and is the oldest church still in use in the
diocese. 'From: 'Churches of the Diocese of Kilmore' by Fr Liam
Kelly - Published